Last.fm is growing. We’re currently looking for great people to join our team.
How to Apply
To apply for any of these positions, please send an email to , with the job title as your subject. Note, no agencies will be considered.
Please include a short cover letter, with the following:
- Your Last.fm user name
- Your CV
- Your current notice period
- Your eligibility to work in the UK
- Your salary expectation
We reserve the right to be unimpressed if you can’t follow these simple instructions. Unless otherwise stated, all positions will be full time, and based at Last.fm HQ in London SE1 (see how to get there).
Last.fm does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, sexual orientation, or any other basis covered by local law. All matters related to employment are decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
If you would like to be considered for employment opportunities with Last.fm and need special assistance due to a disability or accommodation for a disability, please specify this in your application.
Last.fm is looking for a software architect to design and build back-end systems powering the biggest music site on the planet including music streaming, music catalogue, scrobbling, charts, recommendations, playlisting, search, reporting and analytics.
You are an experienced architect who understands scalability and performance. You're a great communicator and you write great documentation.
You'll need extensive experience with Java, but otherwise we have an open mind about specific technology experience. However it wouldn't hurt if you have some experience with any of the following:
- Java, Spring etc.
- Service-oriented and event-driven architecture
- Hadoop and related technologies
- Object Relational Mapping tools (specifically Hibernate)
- Unit testing (we take Quality seriously - see here for more: http://blog.last.fm/2008/08/01/quality-control).
- API design
- Recommender systems and machine learning
- Last.fm (being a user of the site doesn't hurt ;) ).
- Foosball or retro arcade games.
Last.fm is looking for a senior Java developer to work in its Data Team on services powering the biggest music site on the planet. The Data Team is responsible for vital back end infrastructure including charts, streaming, the music catalogue, scrobbling, search, reporting, analytics and various internal and public APIs.
You should be capable of working on all aspects of the software development cycle from architecture, coding and testing through to deployment and will need proven experience as a senior Java developer. You will provide services to, and be in frequent contact with, our commercial and technical teams. You should have strong relational database and SQL skills including prior work involving a complex database schema. You will work on maintaining and extending existing systems as well as creating new ones. You will need to be able to code software that is distributed, scalable and fault-tolerant under heavy load. You will need a working knowledge of the core Java libraries and various third party open source libraries as well as experience with multi-threading and design patterns.
We do not believe in matching developer CV's against list of buzzwords - we look for smart people with good general programming skills as we believe that clever developers can learn new technologies quickly and well. However it wouldn't hurt if you have some experience with any of the following:
- Object Relational Mapping tools (specifically Hibernate).
- XML (our systems process a lot of this).
- Hadoop and related technologies (if you don't have direct experience an interest in learning will do)
- Unit testing (we take Quality Control seriously - see here for more: http://blog.last.fm/2008/08/01/quality-control).
- Linux (all our servers run Linux so you'll need to be comfortable with a command line shell).
- Agile development methodologies including scrum, code reviews, pair programming.
- API design.
- Last.fm (being a user of the site doesn't hurt ;) ).
- Foosball or retro arcade games.
Our team works on a wide range of technologies so we guarantee that you won't be bored and will get to learn a lot. We are also constantly looking for ways to improve our development methodologies and welcome fresh ideas and approaches. Developers get to spend 10% of their time working on projects of their choice, as long as they are related to Last.fm.
We are looking for a database administrator/architect, who will be responsible for the maintenance and development of our database systems. Proficient with Postgres, you will be responsible for the operation and maintenance of our main database system, along with several smaller application specific databases. You will also take responsibility for the database schema, working with developers to implement features necessary for the business, while guarding the overall performance and reliability of the systems.
- Operation and maintenance of production database systems
- Ownership of database schema
- Performance analysis and management of database systems within hardware capabilities
- Provision of a development database environment that accurately mirrors production systems
- Documentation of the data model and database systems
- Pro-active evolution of the data models to meet business requirements
- Linux/Unix background, deep familiarity with standard Unix tools
- Deep knowledge of PostgreSQL database software
- Knowledge of MySQL database software
- Experience with high volume database systems and scalability
- Experience with PostGIS, skytools (londiste, pgQ, pg_bouncer)
- Database backup and disaster or crash recovery
- Expertise in SQL coding, optimisation and performance analysis
- Experience in PL/pgSQL
- Experience with one or more of: C, C++, Shell, PHP, Perl or Python.
- Experience in a high-volume or critical production service environment
- Good understanding of IP networking
- Good written and verbal communication skills are strong assets
Last.fm is seeking a Head of Technical Operations. Reporting to the CTO, you will help to define and then be responsible for implementing Last.fm's datacentre & infrastructure strategy, assessing options including datacentre moves/consolidation and/or moving to the cloud.
- Managing a small technical operations team including systems, networks & database admins
- Sytems and technical architecture
- Operational planning and capacity management for Last.fm infrastructure
- Working with internal development teams on initial systems design for new services
- Management of 3rd Party relationships with data centre and telecoms providers
- Specification and provisioning of new servers and network hardware
- Technical management of production network, including upstream BGP relationships
- Project management for major implementations and upgrades
Technical skill areas
- Architecting systems for high availability & scalability
- Strong networking, with knowledge of Cisco IOS, routing and switching
- Strong knowledge of Linux, specifically Debian
- Configuration management (cfengine3)
- Monitoring and alerting (nagios3, ganglia, cacti)
- Understanding of web stack components (apache, nginx, varnish, php, memcache)
- Load balancing (DNS based, layer 3 and layer7)
As Account Manager you will be responsible for maximising revenue from a territory of major UK agencies and generating new business. You will work across our market leadingUK Consumer brands: GameSpot UK, CNET.co.uk, Last FM and TV.com, dependant on your previous experience and skills. This particular role is in need of someone that has previous experience across Tech sites/channels.
This individual will need to highly motivated, command the respect of both clients and colleagues and demonstrate strong interpersonal and sales skills. They should be a strong team player and a professional with an interest and experience in the online/digital sales marketplace and a strong understanding of content and brand selling.
Sales Director / Account Director
Commercial Operations Team
Ad Operations team
Product Marketing Manager
Publishers, Product and Edit Teams
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
- Responsible for account managing, increasing and maximising revenues from named key accounts
- Developing new business accounts
- Being accountable for and managing quarterly account planning, strategy and pipeline
- Directly involved in commercial decisions that impact the strategic direction of the sites
- Identify market trends to grow incremental revenue and commercial opportunities
- Liaising with other CBS Interactive business units to maximise overall company sales
- Working with Campaign Managers to deliver campaign optimisation, excellent customer service and client retention
- Must be able to sell on both vertical segments as well as a wider demographic portfolio lead sell
Experience & Skills
- Proven sales experience
- Online advertising sales experience
- Account management experience
- New business development experience
- Face to face agency experience
- Strong administrative and reporting skills
- Successful experience within online media
- Goal driven and resourceful
- Demonstrates leadership skills
- A polished, professional outlook
Competencies for Success
- Presentation skills
- Drive for results
- Time management
- Customer focus
- Learning on the fly
- Peer relationships
- Action oriented
To apply for this position, please email your CV with a covering letter stating your salary expectations to email@example.com. Please state clearly in the subject line which post you are applying for.